Ranoo came back to Bangalore after completing her Class XII in Kolkata. She took admissions in B.Sc (Nursing). She expressed her desire to go to Ooty (or Udaghamandalam) before her college started. Her college was to start in the first week of October. So, we planned to go to Ooty in September, 2017 and booked our Hotel in Taj Savoy.

We started from Bangalore at around 6 AM in our new Ciaz. We drove towards Mysore and faced the usual traffic jam near Kengeri. That day it took nearly one and a half hour to cross Kengeri. Thereafter, the road was empty.

We stopped at Kamat Lokuruchi for breakfast. Then we started further on our way to Mysore. We were in Mysore by around 12 Noon. Here we switched on the navigator on the Ciaz and also the Google Map. We realised later that this was a mistake. Both the navigators took us inside the Mysore City and we were going round and round in circles as many of the roads as per the map were closed. This was because Mysore was preparing for the Dussera festival. With a lot of difficulty and after about 2 hours, we were on the highway to Ooty once again.


Once again, the road was a 6 lane road. At around 3 PM, we stopped at a restaurant and had lunch. All of us had Chicken Biriyani. After lunch, we started once again. Soon, we reached Bandipur. Here the road is a single road and it is very narrow. However, the road is very well maintained. We had to drive very slowly here as we were passing through the forest. Luckily for us, we spotted some animals on the way. We could not spot any tiger nevertheless.

It took a lot of time to cross the Bandipur forest and reach the Tamil Nadu border. At the border, there is a check post. After the check post, the forest continues. But now it is called Madumalai. The narrow road continues here. We had to be very careful especially when any vehicle approached from the other direction. The road in Madumalai is not so good. We soon crossed Madumalai. But the narrow road continued. Soon, we found a Cafe Coffee Day. We stopped and had some coffee and also used their washroom.

We started once again. A little further from here, the climb to Ooty started. This road is extremely dangerous. There are more than 70 hair pin bends in this stretch before reaching Ooty. I drove very carefully. After driving for nearly 2 hours, we reached Ooty.

Now, we had to find our hotel. The navigator was not helpful here. We called the hotel for directions. Though they were trying to help, we could not find the way. At last, we stopped at a Petrol Pump and these guys showed us the way. Then, we could reach Taj Savoy. By the time we ere there it is was about 6 PM.

Taj Savoy is a good hotel and it has been there from the colonial times. The rooms are old buildings. However, they are spacious and well maintained inside.




This slideshow requires JavaScript.


We took rest on that day. Next day, we had breakfast and then booked a car to take us around Ooty. We started with visiting the View Point. It was very cloudy that day and had rained the previous night as well. However, this place was very crowded.

From here, we went to the Government Botanical Garden. We spent some time there.



Then our driver and guide took us to Tea Factory. We had lots of fun here.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We had some fruits and some snacks at the Tea Factory. So, we were not hungry an more. So, we started straight for Pykara Boat Club. This is quite far away from the Ooty Town. Also, it started raining on the way and as a result we could move very slowly. When we reached our destination, it was drizzling. So, we hired a boat along with another family to go boating. By the time we were half way through a very strong storm formed. We had to rush back to shore.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

After coming to the shore, we had to take shelter in the Boat House as it started raining very heavily. So, we decided to eat something. We had fried rice and tea. After the rain had subsided a little, we started once again.

On the way, we stopped at a Shooting Spot. We were told that many films are shot there. The place was very picturesque.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It was nearly 5 PM before Deepshree and Ranoo agreed to leave this place. We started towards the hotel. On the way, we came across Pine Forest. This place was also beautiful.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

By the time, we have finished taking photographs at the Pine Forest, it had become quite dark. So, we returned to the hotel. After having tea, we relaxed.

We had dinner at about 9:30 PM. Then we went to bed as next morning we had to go to Coonoor.


Am basically a programmer. Have proved to myself and quite a few people over the 24+ years that I am capable of programming on most platforms using quite a few tools for most problems. However, to be viable for earning a living, have learnt a few tricks and techniques of management. Whatever management techniques I have learnt, I try and convert to simple logic flows to keep my decision process simple and transparent. While managing, have been successful in programming a few individuals and teams to meet required objectives. Though I am not creative, I have enormous potential to innovate and extend creative ideas generated and shared by others.

2 Comment on “Ooty

  1. Pingback: Kamat Lokaruchi | Partha's Travelogue

  2. Pingback: Selfies by Deepshree | Partha's Travelogue

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: